This is an original set of cels, transparencies and mattes relating to a single frame of a single shot (shot "CL43" in the 1982 Disney science-fiction classic Tron. The shot features Clu (Jeff Bridges) and was titled “Mister High and Mighty”. Tron was a unique accomplishment in filmmaking, with a visual style that had never before been seen - and was accomplished in a pre-digital, photochemical era of visual effects.
The electronic world in the film was accomplished with a unique system of animation and processing that was conceived specifically for the film. This involved creating numerous high-contrast mattes for different elements of a particular shot (or frame), such as the body matte, circuit reveal, face reveal, etc. Each of these mattes were processed one pass at a time by exposing a piece of film, backing it up in the camera, and then exposing the next element - sometimes up to 25 different passes were done on a single piece of film. These were all compiled in-camera, so that there was no need for optical compositing.
This set includes 9 different cels, all measuring approximately 20" x 12.5", and having animation stand registration holes at the bottom.
The cels relating to the characters in the shot are:
- Continuous tone image of the actor in costume, marked "CT" for continuous tone.
- High contrast negative image of the actor, marked “HC” for high contrast.
- Paper exteter matte, 2nd pass
- Face reveal, 2nd pass, marked “FR pass 2”
- High contrast matte, marked "HC 1" for high-contrast
- Hand-painted body matte, marked "BM 387"
- Paper exeter matte, pass 3 and 4, marked “CR 378-475”
- Circuit reveal, marked “CR 387”
The cels relating to the background elements in the shot are:
- Background air brush matte, marked “B.G. A.B.”
All these elements were needed to create a single frame of a single shot for the film, representing what an enormous undertaking it was to produce. These elements have been kept together ever since production wrapped and are still in the original cardboard box from the production. While single Tron "continuous tone" Kodaliths have surfaced before, we have never seen a full set of elements and mats offered together like this on the collector's market before. [PSoL]